visual c++ licensing issues

Stephen Jones siwenjo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 12:50:34 PST 2013

Isn't the point that Microsoft have just illustrated that they
intend tightening their grip over the development tools, in which
case the future viability of D as open source is jeopardized; if
you want to program D you will have to obtain some Microsoft
license to access the linker required to use Windows 64 bit SDK.

As for being able to generate D programs with just the Windows
SDK, I was lead to understand D programming on 64 bit Windows
platforms requires Visual C++ linker and this linker can only be
got by obtaining a Visual Studio, and that the last Enterprise
and truly free version of Studio is 2010 which presumably will
not keep pace with future Windows developments (I might be wrong
on this, if for example the linker remains the same irrespective
of changes in the SDK).