Go compiler moving from C to Go

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 15:02:54 PST 2013

On 23 December 2013 22:06, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:

> Iain Buclaw:
>

> Did you really think that __simd went through a design phase? :-)
>
> I understand. So there is still a problem bigger than __simd.

To be fair, I don't think this is as significant as it sounds. I agree,
__simd had no real design, it was just a convenient implementation for DMD,
but isn't that always the case for compiler intrinsics? In most cases, LLVM
tries to mirror GCC intrinsics, but there are many significant distinctions
between LLVM and GCC's intrinsics, making versions in the code for each
compiler there too.
In my experience, there is always versioning issues when making use of
compiler intrinsics, what's important is that the language is able to wrap
them up cleanly and effectively. D currently satisfies this requirement to
some extent, but in my experience with std.simd, to get to the 100% mark, I
really need __forceinline. I can't really finish std.simd to a satisfactory
level without it.