D has 22 place at the Tiobe index

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Wed Dec 25 08:10:32 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 25 December 2013 at 10:20:13 UTC, Maxim Fomin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 December 2013 at 09:32:39 UTC, ilya-stromberg
> wrote:
>> D community, thank you for your great work!
>
> I would say it mostly due to limited number of people working
> in dmd/druntime/phobos (names can be obtained from git log)
> rather than to community which generates talks in newsgroups
> and unimplemented DIPs.

Surely not everyone can contribute to the core tools, but the
community can put out good D libraries/apps or evangelize D in
their circles.

What D needs is a killer app, something that can really showcase
its abilities.  Obj-C went from obscurity to top 4 in TIOBE by
riding the popularity of iOS.  Ruby was nowhere before rails.
I'm sure Android has buoyed Java in recent years.

Frankly, I'm surprised D hasn't produced a killer app/project
yet, but then to really show D off would take a pretty ambitious
project, probably something at least moderately mathematical or
scientific to showcase its strengths.  Or perhaps an existing
popular and efficient tool re-implemented in D and done better
with its modeling power, say git or some better DVCS implemented
in D.  AFAICT, Vibe.d would be my nominee right now.

As far as I'm concerned, Walter and the other core contributors
have done their part: D is a great tool to use.  I know there are
complaints about regressions and other bugs, especially from you,
but ruby was likely much worse and that didn't stop rails from
taking off, just ask Zed Shaw. ;)

I look forward to the killer app the D community comes up with. :)