Can D be Interpreted?

Rémy Mouëza remy.moueza at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 12:14:19 PST 2013

To execute a D source file as one would do with a Python script, you can
use rdmd.
On Linux, you can make your can directly execute D source file by
changing its mode (chmod u+x file.d) and adding a "shebang" first line
like:
#!/usr/bin/rdmd --shebang -I/path/to/libs -L-L/path/to/libs -L-lyourLibName

Don't forget to add the "--shebang" option or your file won't be
executed properly.

There also have been several projects to make a D REPL, the most recent
one being dabble: https://github.com/callumenator/dabble but it only
works on Windows. The principle is to compile the code one enter on the
REPL line and dynamically load it.

Burton Radons had written an article on how to dynamically load some
Windows executable code, if you are interested in how this works:
http://members.shaw.ca/burton-radons/The%20Joy%20and%20Gibbering%20Terror%20of%20Custom-Loading%20Executables.html