Can D be Interpreted?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 14:01:31 PST 2013

On 27 December 2013 06:59, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:

> Rémy Mouëza:
>

>  There also have been several projects to make a D REPL,
>>

> I'd like a good REPL in the default distributions, because it's an useful
> tool to speed up coding, to test and try things, it's very useful if you
> want to use D for exploratory coding, and it's kind of standard if you want
> to use a language for interactive mathematics (iPython with matPlotLib,
> Julia language, Mathematica, Sage, Scala etc). I'd like Walter to comment
> on this.

In my experience with vibe.d, it's a massive pain in the arse that it's
compiled.
It seems to me that web dev involves squillions of micro-changes and
tweaks, and it's bloody annoying to compile and reboot the server every
time.
vibe.d apps should be compiled for deployment, but a JIT option while
developing/tweaking/tuning would speed up development by about 934x.
I think that's the main hold-up for vibe.d compared to popular competition;
the iteration time is just not good, but otherwise it's awesome.