What is the rationale behind std.file.setAttributes ?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Fri Dec 27 19:44:30 PST 2013

Am Sat, 28 Dec 2013 03:50:45 +0100
schrieb Martin Nowak <code at dawg.eu>:

> On 12/27/2013 12:12 PM, Marco Leise wrote:
> > This is a case of the proverbial thin wrapper around a system
> > function, as public API of Phobos. Amongst the large set of
> > operating system abstractions, this one is somewhat deceiving,
> > because it looks the same on each platform, but the parameter
> > has a different meaning on each system.
>
> Yep, totally ugly but it's the counterpart to
> http://dlang.org/phobos/std_file.html#.getAttributes.
> So if I save these attributes in a std.zip archive I was missing the
> possibility to restore them.

Hi, thanks for replying here. So .zip files store file
attributes as ints? Then they must also have a data member
that denotes the originating operating system, right?
Otherwise it would be impossible to correctly restore a .zip
file from one system on another. (Given relative path names
and compatible file name character sets.)
And the file attributes need to be converted between systems
as well. Otherwise it would create *very* bizarre effects when
applying POSIX chmod attributes on a Windows machine.

--
Marco