Compiler hints, inlining and syntax consistency

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Sat Dec 28 07:36:54 PST 2013

On Saturday, 28 December 2013 at 14:32:20 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> Originally @ was added for some new keywords to get a new
> "namespace" for keywords. There was no risk of conflict with

Understand. Objective-C and Python also suffers from the
arbitrary "@" syntax. Basically what I would like to see is
"@keyword" on stuff that can be hidden without making the
semantics less clear (so you could have a "hide/show" button in
your editor). I think it also would make the language easier for
newbies if they can easily separate
advanced-stuff-I-don't-need-to-understand-yet from more vital
constructs.

It is easy to come up with many potentially useful "compiler
hints" for programmers that care about performance:

// allocate simd-aligned and 0-padded string by sacrificing
memory for efficiency,
// if supported

@simd string

// force loop-unrolling modulo 4 in order to trigger SIMD
optimizations

@unroll(4) for(…) {}

etc...