Tools should use the review process

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Dec 28 12:28:37 PST 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 09:03:04PM +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-12-28 18:28, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
[...]
> One think I noticed in the tools repository is that some tools are
> more focused towards the core team, like changed.d and some tools
> are for all developers like RDMD. The most important tools are of
> course those aimed to be used by all developers. Perhaps we can find
> a middle ground here. I'm thinking that Dub is a possible candidate
> for inclusion in the tools repository. That would be a perfect
> example for a tool aimed at to all developers and should go through
> a review process.
[...]

IMNSHO, I think the tools repo needs a reorg. Currently we have trivial
things like 'changed' or 'findtags' or 'latest-tag', which are
completely useless to everyone except the core devs (you probably don't
even know what they're supposed to do unless you read the source code),
and then we have 'dustmite' and 'rdmd' that generally applicable to
whoever uses D.

I think this needs to be split into two repos, one for
production-quality tools that are meant for the end-user, and one for
miscellaneous quick-hack scripts meant for internal use by the core
devs. The current situation of dumping random stuff into tools that most
people may or may not care for, 'cos we don't know where else to put
them, only makes a laughing stock of D.

Маленькие детки - маленькие бедки.