Microsoft working on new systems language

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Sun Dec 29 07:31:31 PST 2013

On Sunday, 29 December 2013 at 14:35:44 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> That low-level control also matters for performance, when you
> have hard deadlines. E.g. when the GC kicks in, it not only
> hogs all the threads that participate in GC, it also trash the
> caches unless you have a GC implementation that bypasses the
> caches. Sustained trashing of caches is bad.

Common misconception. For absolute majority of programs it never
gets to make the difference. I have certain experience with those
where such difference really matters and often argue about it on
this NG. But applying it as general performance criteria is
overstatement at best. In practice most user-space applications
are likely to be faster in higher level garbage collected
language because it allows to spend more time on architecture and
algorithms which are always primary bottlenecks.