Microsoft working on new systems language

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Dec 29 12:30:49 PST 2013

On Sunday, December 29, 2013 12:19:33 Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/29/2013 5:46 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> > D lacks some low-level control C has
>
> For instance?
>
> On the other hand, D has an inline assembler and C (without vendor
> extensions) does not. C doesn't even have (without vendor extensions)
> alignment control on struct fields.

I would guess that he's referring to some sort of compiler extension that
isn't standard C but which is generally available (e.g. __restrict, which was
discussed here a while back). And we don't necessarily have all of the stray
stuff like that in any of the current D compilers. But since I never use that
sort of thing in C/C++, I'm not very familiar with all of the various
extensions that are available, let alone what people who really care about
performance frequently use. However, with regards to the language itself, I
think that we're definitely on par (if not better) than C/C++ with regards to
low level control.

- Jonathan M Davis