Microsoft working on new systems language

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Dec 29 14:56:45 PST 2013

On 29.12.2013 14:15, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:

> D/Rust/Go/this-C#-language all claim to be system levels programming
> languages. I think they are not, as long as C/C++ is a better solution
> for embedded programming it will remain THE system level programming
> language. Which is kind of odd, considering that embedded systems would
> benefit a lot from a safe programming language (due to the
> cost/difficulty of updating software installed on deployed hardware).
>
> It doesn't matter if it is possible to write C++-like code in a language
> if the library support and knowhow isn't dominant in the ecosystem.
> (Like assuming a GC or trying too hard to be cross-platform).

Any language that can be used to write a full OS stack, excluding the
usual stuff that can only be done via Assembly like boot loader and
device driver <-> DMA operations, is a systems level programming language.

Don't forget many things people assume are C features, are actually non
portable compiler extensions.

--
Paulo