Microsoft working on new systems language

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Sun Dec 29 17:55:52 PST 2013

> Indeed, but the arrays that are used for holding the data are
> allocated (not in GC heap) before the main loop and always
> reused.

Yes, I merely tried to point out that you don't want to spend a
lot of memory for dead objects waiting for the GC to kick in. You
can use that space for caching data or loading more detailed
graphics. Besides you define a minimum amount of RAM that you
game will work with and try to stay within those bounds in order
to increase the market for your game, so you never have enough
memory for the bottom line which is what you optimize for…

I assumed GC would be useful for AI/game world. It will benefit
from GC because you have complex interdependencies, many
different classes and want to be able to experiment.
Experimentation and explicit memory deallocation is a likely
source for memory leaks… However this will only work well with a
basic GC if the AI/game world representation consists of
relatively few objects. So it limits your design space.

I agree that GC isn't all that useful for graphics/audio because
you have a small set of classes with simple relationships, so I
never assumed you would want that.