Cross referencing in Ddoc

Sönke Ludwig sludwig at outerproduct.org
Mon Dec 30 03:39:19 PST 2013

Am 30.12.2013 11:24, schrieb Jacob Carlborg:
> On 2013-12-29 19:35, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>
>> This is done for the DDOX based docs that were supposed to end up on the
>> home page at some point:
>
> BTW, although DDOX seems to be the best solution currently. It still
> feels like a workaround for something that should be fixed in the compiler.

Although I think that it is more important to have a well defined
documentation format that can be processed by external tools, it would
indeed be much nicer if for example DMD could automatically emit $(XREF
...) or similar for recognized symbol names. Another thing that would
sometimes be nice is to group functions by category (even though most of
the time using different modules is arguably the better choice). Using
custom HTML macros is sub optimal for many reasons and some kind of
little DDOC syntax similar to sections could do wonders there.

All in all, it's good to have a built-in solution available (and
especially important to facilitate a standard documentation format), but
many things that a separate tool can do (global indexes, search, custom
page structure, per declaration pages, etc.) would IMHO be overkill to
have in the compiler. It's still a compiler after all.