Cross referencing in Ddoc

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Dec 31 04:14:46 PST 2013

On 2013-12-31 00:37, Walter Bright wrote:

> I don't see any particular advantage to using (name) rather than $(REF
> name), and some serious disadvantages with false positives like
> func(param). Oops! A markup language should really strive to minimize
> special syntax. (I'm often tripped up by false positives in the wacky
> markup languages in Skype, Github, Reddit, etc., each of which feels
> compelled to reinvent markup.)

You never addressed any of my other suggestions. Would suggestion B,
that is having a special macro that compiler knows about, be an
acceptable solution? Because the current behavior is not good enough.

> My bias is towards being extremely conservative in adding new features
> to Ddoc, instead we should strive to get the max out of the existing
> system, and even rely on external post processors.

If Ddoc requires post processing to be useful it's a complete failure.
Why don't we instead strive to make it the best documentation generator
for D?

--
/Jacob Carlborg