Cross referencing in Ddoc

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Dec 31 13:08:02 PST 2013

On 12/31/2013 4:14 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> If Ddoc requires post processing to be useful it's a complete failure.

Not at all. The same ddoc sources are used to generate an ebook and a Windows
help file - which are based on html but require different html to be generated,
a difference handled by ddoc. The ebook and chm both require post processing
with tools supplied by Amazon and Microsoft, respectively.

It works, it is not a failure because the source files do not need to be
modified to get this working. A failure would be having to modify the source
files each time a different output needs to be generated.

> Why don't we instead strive to make it the best documentation generator for D?

We all of course want that - but there is certainly room for disagreement about
what "best" is.

Reinventing Amazon's "kindlegen.exe" seems pointless to me.