Possible @property compromise

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Fri Feb 1 08:24:53 PST 2013

On 2013-02-01 15:54:14 +0000, "Zach the Mystic"
<reachBUTMINUSTHISzach at gOOGLYmail.com> said:

> And there is simply no need for a data-less struct to allow a "this"
> pointer. There will never be any need to know the address of a
> data-less struct. Any use of it will simply give: "Error: a struct with
> no data may not contain a 'this' pointer". And any use requiring taking
> its address is statically disallowed at compile time. This is not a
> hard feature to implement.

I think what Steven is saying is that you're distorting the concept of
a struct beyond recognition. What you really want/need is just some
kind of namespace inside the outer scope.

Note that D almost has what you want already if you do it through a
template mixin:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/properties_using_template_mixins_and_alias_this_87952.html

The

only thing missing is opGet or an equivalent, and probably a more
straightforward syntax. And perhaps someone should check whether the
functions can be made virtual too (another requirement that doesn't
really belong in a struct).

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.ca