Implementing Half Floats in D

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sat Feb 2 11:55:40 PST 2013

On 02/02/2013 05:50 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> I can tell you this about Ruby. Its package manager, RubyGems, is one its
> greatest assets.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not speaking out against a package library per se, I
think that would be an excellent idea.  I'm just against the idea of narrowing
Phobos' scope too strongly in favour of various things being provided by
contributed libraries.

> Just because a library has many dependencies doesn't mean it's badly designed.
> It could just mean that it's flexible and modular.

I agree, but the example I was talking about really was just frustrating and opaque.

> Do you rather prefer how most C and C++ library works. They all implement
> everything from scratch. String classes, containers, algorithms and so on. Or
> they bundle a third party library within their own library forcing me to use it
> even though I already have it installed out of the box.

No, I don't like the typical C/C++ library situation -- that's why I'd like to
see as much functionality as possible in a well-designed and supported standard
library implementation.