Using memberspaces for a property-like syntax and more

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Sat Feb 2 13:12:35 PST 2013

On Saturday, 2 February 2013 at 16:15:43 UTC, TommiT wrote:
> Also, let's not miss the fact, that this proposal isn't really
> about properties anymore. It's about being able to divide your
> interface into multiple logical sections. It just so happens to
> be that this ability lends itself pretty nicely to implementing
> something that *looks* like a property.

I agree. The previous property proposals suffer from being very
specialized and not much of a useful extension to the language.
We don't even need properties and one of the main goals, which is
variable emulation is not even possible to implement so the best
we'll get is partial emulation which prevents properties from
being used as a drop in replacement for variables.

If we can emulate properties (with the limitations that
properties must have), with a general extension such as
namespaces, then we're far better off. If we can use the
namespace concept and implement properties in Phobos, then it
shows that the concept is really useful and generalized enough
for implementing other solutions besides only properties.

--rt