Using memberspaces for a property-like syntax and more

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Feb 2 14:17:46 PST 2013

On Saturday, February 02, 2013 10:14:29 TommiT wrote:
> I propose we just forget about the whole concept of a property

I think that this proves that the property discussion has gotten way out of
hand. The real question is whether we think that we need explicit properties
or not. If we don't, then presumably, we'll end up with some variant of what
Walter has suggestiing. If we do, then I see no reason to do anything other
than just fixing up the implementation of @property. The problems with it are
almost entirely due to a lack of being properly implemented rather than there
being a problem with its design. Really, the only major design issue with
@property that's been being debated is whether it should make it so that
parens are required on normal function calls, and everything else about
@property is actually indepedent of that.

I don't think that we should be trying to add major, new concepts right now. I
think that we should just decide whether or not we need explicit properties.
And that will decide whether we go with a variant of what Walter is suggesting
or whether we do something with @property. All these other suggestions are
just complicating things to no real benefit.

- Jonathan M Davis