Want to help D compiler development: Two possible weekend projects

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Sun Feb 3 18:31:02 PST 2013

On Sunday, 3 February 2013 at 15:07:50 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 February 2013 at 14:51:59 UTC, Danny Arends wrote:
>> Perhaps I should create an requirements outline after reading
>> the source:
>> From the post David links to:
>>
>> "2) Could somebody read the source and document the quirks of
>> the
>> parser in painstaking detail, so that somebody else can do a
>> clean room implementation?"
>>
>> Gr,
>> Danny
>
> Yes, this is a common practice for avoiding copyright issues -
> one man reads the source and provides detailed spec, second
> re-implements needed stuff based on the spec without having a
> single look into original sources.

Yes, this is what I meant. Sorry, I should have made this clearer
in the original post.

It's not like we realistically have to be afraid of Symantec
suing anybody over that piece of code, but ideally Walter would
be able to accept that rewritten piece of code back into DMD
without having to fear any licensing issues.

David