optional (), what is done elsewhere

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 00:17:32 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 5 February 2013 at 07:14:49 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-02-04 16:08, deadalnix wrote:
>
>> OK, I missed that (I have to say I don't really know that
>> language and
>> went over it quite quickly). The point that was important to
>> me is that
>> this is not really applicable to D.
>
> I think it's important to the reason why these languages don't
> have any problems with optional parentheses and why D do have.
> Otherwise I think this whole thread is kind of pointless.

Yes, this is why I went quickly over cofeescript : it is clearly
not at all the same thin as D.

Now I think the most relevant one is scala here.

So in scala, funName is a polysemic expression : it is either the
function or the function's result after evaluation. Scala get
from context which one make sense.

The major difference I see with scala are :
  - You have no unary & operator to get address of. Confusion in
that regard is completely avoided.
  - You don't have an intermediate with unexplainable type between
a function definition and a function (like in C/C++). D try to
work around that in a poor way. Scala totally remove that concept
from the language, as it is a source of trouble without any
usefulness.

The main question I ask myself is how that behavior would
interact with other D features.