DIP23 draft: Fixing properties redux

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Feb 5 05:31:46 PST 2013

On 2/5/13 3:39 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> On 02/05/2013 02:28 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:> On 2/4/13 2:04 PM,
> Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>  >> We could save a lot of boilerplate code if we can simply make it
>  >> variables and
>  >> property functions guaranteed to be swappable without breaking code.
>  >
>  > I think this is quite powerful. The way we can do this is by making
>  > properties emulate a subset of actual variables.
>  >

> This is the primary real-world proble to solve.

The problem with this approach is feature creep - there will always be
yet another possible case in which a feature helps some case. We need to
put a halt on that.

Unprotected, unchecked member variables that can be get and set without
any hooks into the enclosing structure are rare. That's not the case we
should help and cater for. When that's the case, the entire object is
legitimately a "bag of values" that has only public data.

Andrei