DIP23 draft: Fixing properties redux

Zach the Mystic reachBUTMINUSTHISzach at gOOGLYmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:15:56 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 5 February 2013 at 21:59:53 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Just to make sure: this is about
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ririagrqecshjljcdubd@forum.dlang.org.
>
> Language design is a subjective topic. With time I have learned
> it's best to not comment very much about it. I have created
> dozens, maybe hundreds of tidbits of language design and
> invariably I believe they had obvious merits and negligible
> drawbacks. The confidence in the quality of my own language
> designs has decayed exponentially over the years.
>
> I'm telling this to put in perspective my following comment. I
> think it's awesome that work like yours is discussed and
> refined in this group. At the same time my opinion is that the
> design is not appropriate for us. It changes semantics of
> existing code and fosters a cross-talk between subcomponents
> that has not been time tested. It is complicated in
> implementation for a benefit that's not properly motivated. At
> the top level it solves the wrong problem. As stated: "The
> challenge is to do better, both in terms of functionality and
> in terms of syntax, than his proposal: ..." The actual
> challenge is to make properties work with maximum backward
> compatibility, minimal surprise, best integration with the rest
> of the language, and maximum of benefits.
>

> Andrei

Okay. But I just want to be clear that you are saying what I am
reading, which is that I came to this language too late to really
make a difference in it.