DIP23 Counter Proposal

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Tue Feb 5 17:34:11 PST 2013

> On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 19:39:55 -0500, Timon Gehr <timon.gehr at gmx.ch> wrote:
>
>> As my posts in the DIP23 thread have been left unanswered, I have
>> prepared a counter proposal for DIP23 during the last hour.
>>
>> Everything DIP23 addresses is specified in the two short sub-sections
>> "Optional parens" and "@property: basic design".
>>
>> Those in favour of what was called "semantic rewrites" in the DIP23
>> thread should probably read on further.
>>
>> All parts of this proposal are independent of DIP24 (which Andrei is
>> preparing).
>>
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP23_Counter_Proposal
>>
>> There are almost no examples yet, but in case it is not clear how some
>> case would be handled, feel free to ask.
>>

>> (Also feel free to fix the formatting.)
>
> Has my vote.  For what it's worth :)

Thanks! :)

The full proposal or just the basic design part? (I think the full
"semantic rewrite" idea may have some issues regarding excessive
postblit/destruction, so I am not entirely sure if it is a good idea,
but it was requested.)

> One thing that should be clarified, you should explicitly say "member
> function (static or instance)" instead of just member function.  The
> "optional this" kind of takes care of it, but you have to read it
> carefully to get that.  I think it should be more straightforward.
>
> -Steve

Done. Another thing that was not specified yet was what the compiler is
supposed to do when it encounters overloads where some are @property and
some are not. (I have added "It is illegal to overload
@property-qualified functions against non- at property-qualified functions.")