Expanding Phobos from a flat hierachy

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Feb 6 01:39:47 PST 2013

On 2013-02-06 08:56, Don wrote:

> It would be great if people with extensive experience in other languages
> could give a brief description of the structure of the corresponding
> libraries. (Also include pseudo-standard libraries, for example boost in
> C++).
>
> 1. How many total modules are there? How old is the library? What is the
> recent growth rate of the library (Percentage increase in size per year,
> over whatever time interval is reasonable for that library)?

Tango has 365 modules according to the documentation for D1 (including
the object module).

> 2. How deep is the hierarchy? How many top-level branches are there?

These are spread over 9 packages in the top level "tango" package.

It seems to have at most four levels of packages, including the top
level "tango" package.

> 3. How has the library dealt with obsolete functions and modules? Eg,
> are there entire top-level branches which are obsolete? How many stupid
> names are there (eg, "std.algorithm2") which were forced by the original
> design becoming obsolete?

There are no obsolete top level packages. As far as I know there are no
stupid names. At one time they did remove the "collection" package and
replaced it with a "container" package. It's not really a stupid name.
There can be other cases like this where the optimal name is not used
but there are no names like "std.algorithm2".

--
/Jacob Carlborg