DIP25 draft available for destruction

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 14:26:57 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 6 February 2013 at 07:38:17 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> Probably it'll need a fair amount of tweaking. Anyhow it's in
> destroyable form.
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP25
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

I'm not sure why it's trying to safe-up pointers.

Disallowing the & operator on stack variables is going to cause
code breakage of unprecedented proportions (probably biggest
since strings where made immutable), I know I use it a LOT in my
projects, particularly when interfacing with C libraries or
making slices to stack memory. Also, shoving the burden of
performance onto the GC for the common case seems like a
particularly bad choice considering the current state of the art.
Pointers are relatively rare in D; when users take the address of
a local variable, it's for a good reason.