Expanding Phobos from a flat hierachy

Chad Joan chadjoan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 20:06:06 PST 2013

On 02/06/2013 02:56 AM, Don wrote:
> In the "Implementing Half Floats in D" thread, we seemed to have reached
> a consensus on two important points:
> (a) Phobos should have a broad scope (rather than being small like the C
> standard library).
> (b) The current flat structure of Phobos (every module in the root) does
> not scale to hundreds of modules.
>
> It's not quite unanimous on (a), but seems to be close enough.
>
> Together, (a) and (b) mean we need a plan. The sooner we can do it, the
> less painful it will be. But, on the other hand, it's something that we
> really don't want to get wrong.

You ask for a lot of thorough research that I don't have time to provide
at the moment.

I just want to say "PLEASE YES".  Phobos' module hierarchy is currently
confusing at best, especially with various important elements being
scattered across std.range, std.algorithm, std.array, and maybe another
I'm forgetting.  Although I can sort of see the logic behind this
convention, it is very hard to think of a function that operates on
ranges and automatically know which module to look in.  I'm rambling, sorry.

PLEASE YES!