Trying to follow "Preparing a new major release" instructions

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Fri Feb 8 01:15:59 PST 2013

Am Thu, 07 Feb 2013 21:26:38 -0800
schrieb Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>:

> on http://wiki.dlang.org/Development_and_Release_Process
>
> So, I did the following commands per instructions:
>
> #Make sure you've read "Local repository setup"
> git remote update
>
> git checkout staging
> git pull upstream staging
>
> git tag v2.062-b1 #b1=>first beta
> git push upstream v2.062-b1
>
> and they all worked successfully, but the new tag, etc., do not show
> up here:
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/tree/staging

The tag is there but it references the same commit as 2.061. This is
because the tag was made on the staging branch, which is correct. But
the staging branch hasn't been updated since the last release. (Which
is also correct, but we have to do one intermediate release with
special transition instructions. Otherwise we have two releases with
exactly the same content)

To determine what to do now, we have to know when this release is
supposed to be shipped. If we can delay it for ~1 Month we can make the
transition to the new release process now and the next release will
follow the new instructions 100%. If we want to release ASAP the next
release will be the intermediate release.

BTW: It's very important that the released beta zips are actually based
on the created tags! The current release is based on some recent
commit, although the tag is set to a commit from a month ago.