Trying to follow "Preparing a new major release" instructions

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 04:09:59 PST 2013

On Friday, 8 February 2013 at 09:16:02 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> Am Thu, 07 Feb 2013 21:26:38 -0800
> schrieb Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>:
>
>> on http://wiki.dlang.org/Development_and_Release_Process
>>
>> So, I did the following commands per instructions:
>>
>> #Make sure you've read "Local repository setup"
>> git remote update
>>
>> git checkout staging
>> git pull upstream staging
>>
>> git tag v2.062-b1 #b1=>first beta
>> git push upstream v2.062-b1
>>
>> and they all worked successfully, but the new tag, etc., do
>> not show
>> up here:
>>
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/tree/staging
>
> The tag is there but it references the same commit as 2.061.
> This is
> because the tag was made on the staging branch, which is
> correct. But
> the staging branch hasn't been updated since the last release.
> (Which
> is also correct, but we have to do one intermediate release with
> special transition instructions. Otherwise we have two releases
> with
> exactly the same content)
>
> To determine what to do now, we have to know when this release
> is
> supposed to be shipped. If we can delay it for ~1 Month we can
> make the
> transition to the new release process now and the next release
> will
> follow the new instructions 100%. If we want to release ASAP
> the next
> release will be the intermediate release.
>

> BTW: It's very important that the released beta zips are
> actually based
> on the created tags! The current release is based on some recent
> commit, although the tag is set to a commit from a month ago.

Well it has been raised that the staging branch is kind of
useless. It was useful in early version, but several changes in
the process diminished its interest. Should we simply remove it ?

Anyway, Walter, you should first update the stagging branch via :

#Make sure you've read "Local repository setup"
git remote update

git checkout master
git pull upstream master

git checkout staging
git pull upstream staging

git merge master
git push upstream staging

I think you forgot that step.

On a side note, can we rename regression bug into something else
? The way it is used in the wiki is clearly note what is meant
when using the term regression usually. Released bug maybe ? Bug
in production ?