Trying to follow "Preparing a new major release" instructions

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Fri Feb 8 07:58:39 PST 2013

Am Fri, 08 Feb 2013 10:03:01 -0500
schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>:

> On 2/8/13 8:25 AM, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> > I have to admit that the wiki page is missing instructions for the
> > transition to the new process. But as long as we don't have a clear
> > "Yes we want to use that process" statement from the core developers
> > there's no use in writing them. Right now it seems you're the only
> > one trying to follow that wiki page.
>
> Yes we want to use that process. I thought we made that clear through
> talk and facts several times.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

Then I propose this:

============== For 2.062 release ===========================

* For this release, merge master into staging now
  ("5.3 Preparing a new major release", first code block).

* Delete the wrong tag:
git tag -d v2.062-b1
git push upstream :refs/tags/v2.062-b1

* Create the tag with the correct commit:
git checkout staging
git pull upstream staging

git tag v2.062-b1 #b1=>first beta
git push upstream v2.062-b1

(Update the dmd-beta.zip to match the content of the new tag)

* Continue working on the current release on the staging branch, create
  tags/betas and the release as described on the wiki page (5.3 second
  code block, 5.3 third code block).
  * Fixes for the current release should go directly to staging, normal
    development continues on master. Just as described in 5.2.

============== From now on ===========================

* This also means from now on all pull requests should go to the
  correct branches as described in 5.2. Things like the recent JSON
  changes would get a feature branch, bug fixes to staging, smaller
  enhancements to master.
  (Everyone with push access to the official repo can push pull
  requests to the correct branches, even if they target the wrong
  branch on github.)

The we'll have to make one small exception for the next release: Let's
say we plan to release 2.063 in 8 weeks, 5 April. Then we should merge
master into staging in 4 weeks, 8 March.

From then on we can follow the instructions on the wiki 1:1.