documentable unittest

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Feb 8 07:58:09 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 07:40:34AM +0100, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Thu, 07 Feb 2013 21:20:21 -0500
> schrieb "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com>:
>
> > On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 20:20:44 -0500, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx>
> > wrote:
> >

> > > It may even be possible to have an autobuilder build the branch, and put
> > > it up as one of the compilers you can select on the current dpaste site.
> > > Then people could even test the branch online just by typing code and
> > > selecting the branch! How cool would that be??
> >
> > Isn't the auto-tester already doing most of this?  Why not just provide a
> > place where auto-tester-created distribution can be downloaded?
> >
> > -Steve
>
> +1
> It has to build DMD and Phobos anyway. Save energy, compile
> less! :D

Agreed.

> I would never build DMD myself to check out a pull request
> even IF I had an interest in the changes. I'm always thinking
> the QA department of DMD will check it all thoroughly.
[...]

There is no QA department, unfortunately. We are it. ;-)

I have to say, though, that since I build git HEAD from source for
Phobos development purposes, the easiest route for me would be to have
the branch available from the official DMD repository rather than as a
separate download. That way, if I want to submit patches, I can just
push to github and submit a pull request -- the code would be right
there. A separate download introduces two extra steps: I have to install
the thing and set it up, then I have to find and checkout the correct
version of the code to submit patches for.

Stop staring at me like that! You'll offend... no, you'll hurt your eyes!