On DIP 23

Zach the Mystic reachBUTMINUSTHISzach at gOOGLYmail.com
Fri Feb 8 13:31:16 PST 2013

On Thursday, 7 February 2013 at 18:55:23 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Thursday, 7 February 2013 at 16:35:17 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> I felt we were getting somewhere.
>>
>> Andrei
>
> Both yes and no at the same time.
>
> Last proposals did a great job addressing different issues
> regarding property syntax and I somewhat like them in that
> sense. But they miss an important paragraph about what
> properties are supposed to be in D semantically, when they
> should be used and what problems they try to solve. So far
> design feels like it is syntax based as opposed to use case
> based.

In writing my article about nested structs, I stumbled upon a
general definition of a property which may be of value here.

"A property is a named set of overloaded operations on a piece of
data which replaces the appearance of that data in code(™)."