DIP26: properties defined

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Fri Feb 8 19:22:03 PST 2013

On Saturday, 9 February 2013 at 01:48:25 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 02/09/2013 12:53 AM, Robert wrote:
>> Ok. Here finally it is:
>>
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP26
>>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Robert
>>

> "For optional parentheses, I would like to adopt the scheme
> already explained in DIP23."
>
> It is not actually explained.
>
> "DIP23 and DIP24 both don't seem to have a clear concept what
> properties actually are, resulting in rules that destroy their
> original purpose (For example forbidding module level
> properties)."
>
> That is a very strong claim to make and a very weak example.

It's very clear that there is no definition of what a property is
in either DIP23 or DIP24. The details are made up based on
someones definition, but I cannot be certain what that definition
that is, probably multiple definitions depending on who you ask.

DIP23 firmly states that there are no module level properties
that emulate global variables, and proposes a strange
implementation that does not resemble what one would normally
consider to be a property. If we had a clear definition of
"property" in DIP23, I'd love to see how it would account for the
two inconsistent behaviors. I think that a sensible definition
would prevent such an inconsistent proposal from appearing in the
first place.

--rt