DIP26: properties defined

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Feb 8 22:29:23 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 10:04:11PM -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Saturday, February 09, 2013 00:53:30 Robert wrote:
> > Ok. Here finally it is:
> >
> > http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP26
>
> I completely disagree with disallowing UFCS properties. Not only is it
> outright required for arrays, but it's currently possible to turn
> anything into a range (even types over which you have no control)
> simply by defining the functions (including property functions) for it
> externally. And you could do the same with most any API required by a
> template. If UFCS properties were disallowed, then that would become
> impossible for any API which included properties. That's unnecessarily
> restrictive.
[...]

Yeah, I disagree with disallowing UFCS properties too. That just
cripples it so much that a lot of existing @property use cases are
invalidated. It feels like throwing out the baby with the bathwater,
instead of solving the actual problem.

It is of the new things that men tire --- of fashions and proposals and
improvements and change. It is the old things that startle and
intoxicate. It is the old things that are young. -- G.K. Chesterton