Should D1 only bugs be closed?

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 04:55:26 PST 2013

On Sunday, 10 February 2013 at 07:06:47 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> I'm far from a core DMD developer, so I don't understand your
> dependence on Walter's full attention to D2. I'm just saying
> it seems legit to me, to keep Don & Co. on board. I'd just
> drop making D1 releases as a compromise.

It seems legit to me, too. I fully understand the desire to
continue supporting D1: there are still real users with real
needs. I'm just confused since we were told that D1 would be
discontinued at the start of this year.

Walter and Andrei's time is precious because they are the only
people that can make final decisions about the language, and
there's many, many decisions that still need to be made: property
syntax, shared semantics, copy constructors, ref semantics, auto
ref, accessibility vs. visibility, allocator design etc.  Any
time spent merging changes into D1 is time not spent fixing
issues with D2.

Anyway, I'm flogging a dead horse here. Clearly D1 is still going
to be supported, and me ranting on the forums isn't going to
change that.