Status of Dynamically Loadable D Libraries

Nick Ulle nim.junk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 14:11:50 PST 2013

What's the current status of dynamic loading (and/or linking) for
D libraries?

I've been playing with this a bit in hopes of calling a D shared
library from R through the C ABI, and noticed that on Windows it
seems fine, but on Linux dmd won't build my library unless it
includes main(), and it segfaults if I call writeln().

I've seen this thread:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hmhaldyfziejrplgzazt@forum.dlang.org

And also this one:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/k3vfm9$1tq$1@digitalmars.com

What I gather is that right now, DLLs work on Windows, but on
*nix, shared libraries cannot yet use anything from Phobos.

Am I correct that it's safe to dynamically load a D library on
Windows? How out-of-date is the information in the tutorial for
making DLLs on dlang?

Is supporting dynamically loadable libraries a priority for the
developers, or something that might not happen for a while?