Trying to follow "Preparing a new major release" instructions

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 01:14:47 PST 2013

On Monday, 11 February 2013 at 08:54:53 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
>> To me a regression is a bug that exist in version N+1 but
>> doesn't in version N.
>
> The definition in the wiki is supposed to say exactly that. If
> it's
> still unclear feel free to fix the definition.

I try to understand the whole thing. If a bug exists in N+1, but
not in N, why does the process say that it should be fixed in N
and N+1 ? It make no sense.

> That's why I chose to only allow regression fixes: Regressions
> are
> the most annoying bugs and often the only reason why people
> want a
> minor release at all. For example:
>
> 2.061 works
> 2.062 introduces a new bug #1.
>
> so #1 exists in 2.062 but not in 2.061 which exactly matches
> your
> definition. Now everyone affected by #1 can't upgrade to 2.062.
> Therefore #1 should be fixed in 2.062.1, 2.062.2 or some other
> minor
> release. I don't know why this wouldn't make sense.

OK understood. This seem over restrictive to me, as stuff like
ICE in the backend or wrong codegen deserve also such fix.
Basically anything that don't change the language.