writing library in D for Linux and other OSes

Martin Nowak code at dawg.eu
Thu Feb 14 08:27:44 PST 2013

> Specifically, I need to write library usable from Python. There's PYD, I
> know, but in general, if I wanted to call that library from other
> languages using C interface, how well it works in practice?

see "Status of Dynamically Loadable D Libraries" post from
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/sixndlzafvkehvrcevhx@forum.dlang.org
> Another issue is GC: can I use D's garbage collection (realtime-like
> performance is not necessary for my needs) in the library and it will
> "just work" in say Python code? Or not?

Hard to say, it depends on the implementation of your language's
interpreter and might break at some point (precise collector).
It also depends on how you represent the D objects/memory but it's a
problem that someone creating a binding should address. You might want
to look at LuaD and PyD
http://wiki.dlang.org/Libraries_and_Frameworks#Scripting_D_applications.