What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Feb 14 12:18:16 PST 2013

On 2013-02-14 21:14, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:

> I believe that the idea is that any amount of helpers is fine as long as
> they are private and don't obfuscate code. Phobos contains a lot tiny
> helpers that _might_ be useful but not exposed because of dubious
> general utility and potentially confusing names.
>
> As far pushing good primitives into Phobos, it'd better be done one step
> at time and decoupled of the actual inclusion of Orbit (if we can agree
> on it being included) into say tools repo and being bundled with DMD.

I agree that might be the best idea. But that is mostly for the "any"
function and similar smaller utility functions. The bigger problems are
like the serialization modules. Sure they could be put directly in Orbit
as well. But I still got dependencies on Tango for stuff like XML, Zip,
net and argument parsing.

--
/Jacob Carlborg