What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 14:37:31 PST 2013

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:38:24 -0500, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2013-02-14 22:00, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>
>> The other things, such as xml, I think are more troublesome.  This seems
>> like a trivial problem with a trivial solution.
>
> Yes, so what about the other things, such as xml. Any suggestions?

No.  Clearly using tango xml will not fly.

We need a new xml library.  For many reasons, besides this tool.

I also think serialization is something we should have in phobos,
regardless of Orbit's requirements.

std.process should be remedied soon (it's nearing review).

The others, I'm not sure.

What about this as a possible ongoing solution:

Step 1. Include orbit in BINARY form on the distribution, keep it in its
own project wherever it lives now.  Dogfood be damned...
Step 2. Port as much as possible to Phobos.  As libraries become
available, try to port it over to the new library.
Utopian step. Include Orbit and source in distribution, without external
dependencies.

I don't see why dmd distribution needs to include the source for all the
tools it uses.  I frequently never touch the source of dmd distribution, I
just use the compiled binaries.

This might be kind of viewed like DMD.  It has parts in it that are ASM,
that Walter is slowly porting to C++.  Why can't we use that same model?

-Steve