What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Feb 14 18:07:14 PST 2013

On Friday, February 15, 2013 00:33:34 Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> a) Admit that tango for D2 exists (easy) and bundle it with DMD (the
> hard/not likely/inconvenient part)

There's a big difference between admitting it exists (I don't think that anyone
denies that it does) and treating it as part of the standard library. And I
wouldn't expect it to ever be treated as part of the standard library no
matter how good it is, just like no other 3rd party library is going to be
treated as if it were part of the standard library. The closest that there is
to that is when we link against C stuff (like curl), and we don't even do a lot
of that. The only way that 3rd party stuff is going to be part of the standard
library is if it's actually integrated intto the standard library just like
everything  else in there has been, and that puts certain requirements on the
API (e.g. range-based) and the license (i.e. Boost), both of which Tango fails
at. It's perfectly fine to do things differently in a 3rd party library but not
in the standard library.

- Jonathan M Davis