What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 22:44:56 PST 2013

15-Feb-2013 01:49, Jacob Carlborg пишет:
> On 2013-02-14 21:33, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> [snip]
>> Regardless I think reducing dependencies is the important for inclusion
>> of any new component into the "D core".
>
> In general I think that the D community should embrace all
> developers/contributors and existing libraries.

Not talking about your stuff in particular but in general - hell no.
There is a line between accepting everything just because we can't lose
the chance (hence current std.xml, std.json and other crappy stuff) and
accepting decent stuff that was specifically following current Phobos
idoms, was reviewed, etc. The latter puts quite a strain on the
contributor and in the end should guarantee the quality of addition (and
commitment to maintain it).

That being said once package manager is there tested and solid 3-rd
party libs will flow. (tested & solid simply because of greater exposure
factor)

> It cannot afford to
> loose contributions for petty things like this.

I'd say if contributor can't be bothered to follow conventions and deal
with the constraints imposed, just let him go. Coherency is all
important in the core part of pretty much anything.

--
Dmitry Olshansky