What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Feb 15 00:04:00 PST 2013

On Friday, February 15, 2013 08:50:14 sclytrack wrote:
> When is D going to officially release with official third party
> libraries? Like synchronized with the release of dmd and bundled
> together in a huge (as large as possible) compressed file. Like
> Derelict, Gtkd, Qtd, Vibe, Apache Thrift. I mean not included in
> phobos but included in the release.

Why would we ever do that? It's 3rd party stuff, not official. I'm not aware of
_any_ language that does anything like that. And why would you want releases
of 3rd party libraries to be tied to the compiler? Not to mention, there are
already plenty of complaints about the size of the dmd releases (in
particular, people want the OSes to be split out instead of all being in the
same zip file), so why would we be looking to make it even larger?

Once we have an official package manager (and this whole thread is about a
potential candidate for that), you'd use the package manager to get stuff like
that anyway, not the installer for the compiler and standard library.

- Jonathan M Davis