What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 01:25:17 PST 2013

On Friday, 15 February 2013 at 08:48:56 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-02-14 23:15, Dicebot wrote:
>
>> Well, I am one of those who does not like Tango dependencies.
>> If
>> something important is missing in standard option module, it
>> needs to be added and I I'll gladly volunteer for that. But
>> adding Tango stuff to Phobos as is - big no-no for me.
>
> Rewriting a large part of existing, good and working code just
> because of some political issue (or what it is) is a big, bit
> no-no for _me_.
>
> So I guess we can drop this discussion now. It's only running
> in circles now.

And it is exactly why I offered help in rewriting some of those,
as someone more interested in improving Phobos. If all this
discussion is only about convincing to get some parts of Tango
into official distribution as-is - I doubt it will be going
anywhere and dropping is the right thing.

Also it is not exactly a political issue. Tango style and design
is considerably different from Phobos and mixing so different
stuff in one distribution is the road to PHP hell. Much worse
than any reimplementation (more like "refactoring" in practice)
efforts. Just my 5 cents.