What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Artur Skawina art.08.09 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 04:17:59 PST 2013

On 02/15/13 09:04, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Friday, February 15, 2013 08:50:14 sclytrack wrote:
>> When is D going to officially release with official third party
>> libraries? Like synchronized with the release of dmd and bundled
>> together in a huge (as large as possible) compressed file. Like
>> Derelict, Gtkd, Qtd, Vibe, Apache Thrift. I mean not included in
>> phobos but included in the release.
>
> Why would we ever do that? It's 3rd party stuff, not official. I'm not aware of
> _any_ language that does anything like that. And why would you want releases
> of 3rd party libraries to be tied to the compiler? Not to mention, there are

One reason why people are asking for such a distribution model is the
"stability" of D. IOW, both the language and compiler capabilities change
so often that you can't expect version X of the compiler to work with
version Y of some library. Even for reasonably close releases of these
projects, like libs published less than ~ a year after the compiler.
Recent examples: '=>'-lambdas, UDAs and many smaller changes. It only
takes one library that uses a newer feature and you have to upgrade
the compiler, which can be problematic for various reasons, including
some /other/ used libs failing after such upgrade. Figuring out a working
set of tools and libs can be hard, and require maintaining local changes
to several external projects/libs.

artur