What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Fri Feb 15 07:22:59 PST 2013

On Feb 15, 2013, at 3:29 AM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2013-02-15 07:29, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>
>> It could then the only roadblock is dependency on Tango.
>> The only problem I had with serialization is that it's like using huge
>> module to do the "dump this struct in JSON" kind of thing that's doable
>> in 20-30 lines.
>
> It's not huge. I already had the serialization library available. Not using it would be stupid.
>
> Having 30k+ lines of code just to get the time _is_ huge.
>
>> In the option b Anyway the comment about porting from Tango still applies.
>
> Just because you guys are too stubborn to include it in the distribution.

Tango is distributed under an incompatible license. A license that unfortunately can't be changed because many of the Tango authors are MIA. There's nothing political involved. And if the dependency is just on a JSON module, that's easy to resolve. We have a new std.json module in the queue anyway, don't we?