What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Jesse Phillips Jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 10:48:40 PST 2013

On Friday, 15 February 2013 at 14:14:43 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-02-15 14:53, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> We have personally contacted the author of curl and the
>> maintainer of
>> libz to make sure there are no licensing or other issues with
>> bundling
>> their code with the D distribution.
>
> There's no issue in bundling BSD licensed code. That's the
> whole idea of open and free software. To be able to freely
> distribute the code.

To add to this. BSD requires the license be distributed with
Binary forms, Boost explicitly does not. That is their real
difference.

This is something Walter wants to avoid with the standard library
(I agree) but for utility programs it is unimportant since they
can be used to build the binary and since they are not
distributed with the created binary there is no need to
distribute the BSD license.

So the discussion for the library Orbit uses should remain
related on how much trouble there will be from having an official
program use a library not part of d-programming-language/tools
and friends.