What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Feb 16 06:55:10 PST 2013

On 2013-02-15 16:22, Sean Kelly wrote:

> Tango is distributed under an incompatible license. A license that unfortunately can't be changed
> because many of the Tango authors are MIA.

It does not need to be changed. It just needs to be included in the
distribution of DMD. Nothing that uses DMD or Phobos will be affected.
Well, that's actually only necessary if the source code of Orbit itself
is included with DMD. Apparently the source code for RDMD is not included.

> There's nothing political involved. And if the dependency is
> just on a JSON module, that's easy to resolve.

The large dependencies it has are: XML, net, ZIP and argument parsing.
Then there are some utility functions, but they are the least of the
problem.

> We have a new std.json module in the queue anyway, don't we?

That's another problem. In Tango there is working code right now, not
possibly some time in the future.

--
/Jacob Carlborg