What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sat Feb 16 10:18:27 PST 2013

On Thursday, 14 February 2013 at 11:58:13 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2013-02-14 10:46, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> I don't understand why one would go around the horn to just
>> check for
>> !empty.
>
> I've tried to explain, it shows what the intention is.
>
> Instead of "str.length == 0" I use "str.empty". Instead of
> "!str.empty" I like to use "str.any".
>
> It's not a big deal but I would need to change quite a lot of
> code if "str.any" isn't allowed.

I totally agree with Walter, it adds useless cognitive load. I
thoroughly hate it. I would need to have to look at the doc to
know what any means, while !empty, everyone already knows it. And
I don't want D to be another Perl, where one can write the same
thing in ten different manners, so that it's impossible to
recognize patterns or a common style.