The DUB package manager

Sönke Ludwig sludwig at outerproduct.org
Sat Feb 16 23:35:22 PST 2013

Am 16.02.2013 23:49, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 22:21:55 +0100
> Sönke Ludwig <sludwig at outerproduct.org> wrote:
>>
>> My idea for the things you mentioned (swig, c, etc.) was to have a set
>> of hooks that can be used to run external tools (invoked before
>> build/project file generation, before build or after build). That
>> together with your proposed interface should provide all the necessary
>> flexibility while putting an emphasis on a standard way to describe
>> the build process.
>
> I like a lot of what you've said, but my concern about this part is,
> does it support things like:
>
> - Dependencies between custom build steps (so that custom build steps
> aren't needlessly re-run when they're not out-of-date, and can
> possibly be parallelized)
>
> - Multiple custom build targets
>
> - Multiple custom build configurations
>
> I think those are essential for a real general-purpose build tool.

I'd hope that all of this (except multiple custom build commands) can be
pushed off to the external build tool. So in essence those build steps
would be just dump command lists that are always executed.

It would basically need to be that way, if the target builder doesn't
support something like this anyway (e.g. the pre/post build command in a
VisualD or Mono-D project). If this should turn out not to be enough, it
could always be extended, but I think most of it should be easy to
handle using "make" or something similar.